Decarbonizing the energy sector is an urgent challenge, and with the right technology, geothermal energy can play a central role. We are expanding our team to help make this vision a reality. Fervo Energy has developed technology to make geothermal power scalable and cost-effective. Join us and work alongside world-class engineers, researchers, investors, and developers in making geothermal a key pillar of our climate-friendly energy future.
The Exploration Geologist will support Fervo Energy’s geological modeling workstream to achieve our
geothermal energy development goals. This position will play a key role in evaluating resource opportunities and executing exploration activities across Fervo’s growing project portfolio. Responsibilities will include working with geophysical datasets to build three-dimensional conceptual models of geothermal reservoirs, developing geothermal play concepts in new basins, acreage evaluation and prospect ranking, and executing Fervo’s exploration strategy. In addition, the Exploration Geologist will support general wellsite geology activities for Fervo’s exploration and appraisal drilling programs.
- Integrate geologic datasets (well lithology logs, geologic maps, seismic, MT, gravity, etc.) to build conceptual geomodels across Fervo’s geothermal development portfolio.
- Evaluate and model three-dimensional temperature conditions at new prospects based on existing datasets.
- Provide geologic interpretations to subsurface engineering team to inform effective well planning and reservoir development strategies.
- Work across a cross-functional team of reservoir engineers, geophysicists, and drilling & completions engineers to develop geothermal reservoir conceptual models and numerical reservoir models.
- Identify and evaluate growth opportunities for Fervo’s development portfolio through land acquisition and exploration.
- Oversee mudlogging, wireline logging, geo-steering, and general wellsite geology for Fervo’s exploration and appraisal drilling programs.
- Evaluate subsurface state of stress through analysis of image logs, structural data, and seismicity data.
- Perform offset well analysis to develop geologic prognoses, evaluate wellbore stability, and support D&C team to develop well plans.
- Assist with asset management, resource reserve estimates, and investment analysis/diligence.
- Travel periodically to field sites across the western U.S. as required Required and Preferred
- Required: 5+ years of geologist experience in the geothermal, mining, or oil & gas industries
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in geology, geological engineering, or geophysics, or related discipline; MS degree or beyond is a plus
- Required: Proficiency in ArcGIS software
- Required: Proficiency in 3D geomodeling software (LeapFrog, Petrel, EarthVision, GOCAD, or similar)
- Required: Experience interpreting well temperature logs
- Preferred: Strong background in structural geology
- Preferred: Previous wellsite geologist and/or exploration geologist experience preferred
- Preferred: Prior experience in geologic resource assessment and geologic mapping for conventional hydrothermal systems
- Preferred: Experience in wellbore image log analysis for stress characterization and fracture characterization
- Preferred: Experience in data analytics and geostatistics
Fervo Energy has offices in Reno, Houston, Oakland, and Golden. This position will be eligible for some hybrid work flexibility, but regular in-office presence will be required.
About Fervo Energy
Fervo Energy provides 24/7 carbon-free energy through development of next-generation geothermal power. Fervo’s mission is to leverage innovation in geoscience to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Geothermal has a major role to play in the future electric grid and Fervo’s key innovations bring a full suite of modern technology to make geothermal cost competitive. Fervo’s innovations include technologies such as advanced computational models, horizontal drilling, and distributed fiber optic sensing that have been developed with partners including Schlumberger, ARPA-E, and the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. Fervo has an industry leading development pipeline with projects with multiple partners including Google and East Bay Community Energy. Fervo’s investors and financiers include leading venture capital firms Capricorn and Breakthrough Energy Ventures, industry leaders Helmerich and Payne and BHP, and research support through Activate, ARPA-E, and the Department of Energy Geothermal Technologies Office.