Decarbonizing the energy sector is an urgent challenge, and with the right technology, geothermal energy can play a central role. We are expanding our team to help make this vision a reality. Fervo Energy has developed technology to make geothermal power scalable and cost-effective. Join us and work alongside world-class engineers, researchers, investors, and developers in making geothermal a key pillar of our climate-friendly energy future.
The General Counsel will act as a key part of the leadership team, providing this fast-growing organization with strategic and tactical leadership and bestowing legal and compliance guidance to cross-functional teams. The General Counsel will report to the CEO.
- Providing legal counsel and/or managing external counsel in areas such as land acquisition, power purchase agreements, engineering and procurement, permitting, supplier master service agreements, and materials and equipment sourcing
- Leading strategic transactions for Fervo including equity and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, corporate and project finance, joint-ventures, and partnerships
- Managing due diligence and closings related to a variety of transactions
- Drafting and negotiating complex agreements including for land acquisition, power purchase, grid interconnection, equipment supply, data sharing, facility construction, and ongoing operations
- Establishing, implementing, and periodically reassessing Fervo’s company-wide compliance standards and policies
- Resolving issues that arise in commercial or operational relationships and handling pre-litigation legal disputes and inquiries
- Providing a legal viewpoint on Fervo’s corporate strategy
- Assisting with other matters as may be necessary from time to time
- JD and membership in at least one state bar
- 10+ years of experience practicing law with in-house experience at a power company, power developer, or oil and gas company
- Experience executing financial transactions in the US, including private or public equity raises, debt raises, or project level financing/structuring
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Exceptional leadership skills and executive presence
- A passion for addressing climate change
Fervo Energy is headquartered in Houston, TX with a growing office in the Bay Area, CA. This position will be eligible for some hybrid work flexibility, but regular in-office presence at either the Houston office or Bay Area office will be required.