Decarbonizing the energy sector is an urgent challenge, and with the right technology, geothermal energy can play a central role. We are expanding our team to help make this vision a reality. Fervo Energy has developed technology to make geothermal power scalable and cost-effective. Join us and work alongside world-class engineers, researchers, investors, and developers in making geothermal a key pillar of our climate-friendly energy future.
The Policy and Regulatory Affairs Associate will work with Fervo’s Government Affairs and Policy Manager, VP of Strategy and the broader government affairs team to develop and advocate for policies that support Fervo’s commercial goals and grow the market for advanced geothermal energy production. Internally, this role will be responsible for leadership on a portfolio of high-priority and high-impact regulatory and policy topic areas as well as general policy tracking and market analysis. Externally, this role will execute Fervo’s advocacy strategy through engagement with policymakers, regulators, their staff and the media, and actively participating in utility commission regulatory proceedings. This position will report to the Government Affairs and Policy Manager.
- Analysis: inform internal company commercial strategies through 1) analysis of public policy and regulatory developments and 2) projection of likely outcome(s) of public policy processes
- Advocacy: Engages with public officials, policymakers, and other stakeholders to communicate and advocate for the company’s positions on public policy, including regulatory filings and public comments
- Actively track state-level regulatory and policy proceedings to educate relevant internal team, assess their strategic importance to Fervo, and inform engagement strategy
- Lead Fervo’s participation in priority state-level regulatory proceedings, including: working across relevant teams to develop company positions on regulatory and policy questions; drafting and submitting official filings and comments
- Proactively educate regional legislators and key energy market regulators on Fervo’s development and the benefits of geothermal energy
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders, including policymakers, regulators, industry peers, and advocates
- Provide timely policy research, analysis and recommendations to commercial and operations teams, including executive briefings
- 2+ years of experience with roles in policy, electricity, or energy
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field; Master’s degree in policy or energy-related subject matter preferred
- Experience with utility-scale energy project development
- Experience working in state energy regulatory organization(s), state government or closely with energy regulators and policymakers
- Experience with legal writing preferred
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for regulatory engagement; passion for climate change and furthering renewable energy policy
- Intellectual curiosity and comfort with self-directed learning; excellent interpersonal, writing, organizational, and communication skills